Monday, November 10, 2014

Sind Sie in Deutschland geboren?

Hi everyone!

So, we do a LOT of contacting as missionaries. A lot of people really hate it. It can be kind of scary to like, approach random people on the street or on the Bahn or whatever. It wasn`t my favorite in the beginning, but I've learned that youcan make it fun, and when you do that, it's a total blast and you get a lot of fun stories. We actually had a ton of really fun stories this week. Here are some of my faves:

 So I`ve found the easiest thing to do is to say hello to everyone. Sometimes when you just initiate contact, people will be super friendly and you can have a conversation. This happened this past week when we were heading to the U-Bahn, I said hello to this woman, and all of a sudden she was telling us about her sons that play classical piano and spent 10 minutes writing down all of her contact info to visit her...in Romania. Whoops. But, she gave me THE best compliment I`ve ever had. We were just chatting on the Bahn, and she said "Sind Sie in Deutschland gebornen?" In other words, SHE ASKED IF I WAS GERMAN. I almost died. What she doesn't know is that I run out of vocabulary after about 20 minutes...but still. Good stuff. She was so nice! And then as we needed to go (we were late for an appointment,) she said "Beten wir!" and grabbed both of our hands. And we prayed with this Romanian lady in the middle of the train station. Good times.

 We were using this same approach on the streets, when one guy seemed taken back by the fact we had said hello to him, and he reached out his hand to shake both of ours'. He asked how we knew each other. We said that we didn't, we just had a message to share. He then shook both of our hands like, 2 more times before we parted. He performed a total of like, 6 handshakes within 2 minutes. We laughed for the rest of the day about it. 

 One of my new faaaaaaaaavorite ways to contact is by using languages. Wien is a super international area, so you here people speaking not-German all the time. It's great though, because most of them can speak German as well. If they're speaking English or some other language you can't make out, it's so easy to be like "Excuse me, where are you from?" and then they're super friendly and after you've had this nice language about they're home country and you said that German isn't your second language either, they're all like, "Why are you here?" Ding ding ding! Perfect question! :)

I did this earlier this week when I heard this couple speaking something I didn't recognize...I talked to them and they were speaking Russian! When I told them I was American the man seemed a little skeptical to continue our conversation, but when I told him I lived in Moscow as a kid he was totally impressed! They were both super, super cool. The guy said he had actually read a lot of the Book of Mormon and had even heard of the Pearl of Great Price! They wished us the best with all of our work. My little Russia connection has been such a handy ice breaker with so many people. Dad, why didn`t you ever teach me anything?? :) That'd be pretty nifty.

Speeeeeeeeeeeaking of nifty. Remember how Sister C speaks Arabic? We were at an internet shop doing e-mails the other day when she overheard the men in the front speaking Arabic. So when we went up to pay, she spoke to them in Arabic! They were both totally caught off-gaurd and totally impressed. They were like, "but you`re blonde!" It was so funny. They were both really cool. Yay for cool companions!

Last Monday for P-day we were classic tourists and went to the inner-city to go to Stephansdom and the other cool stuff there. We ran into the Wien 1/4 Elders there! That was fun. Afterward we walked over to Peterskirche, where we saw a sign for an organ concert that started in 20 minutes! So obviously we stayed. It was absolutely beautiful.

Sister Bushman and Sister Cherrington outside of Stephansdom


We also had this really great ward activity last Saturday! I have come to really appreciate those since I came on a mission...not only are they simply fun, but it`s a great opportunity for members to get to know each other better, and people we`re meeting with to come and meet tons of ward members. I also ate the most scrumptious pumpkin-creme soup that has ever come to pass. I'm going to buy an immersion blender after my mission and live on that stuff for the rest of my life. THE BEST.

Anyway. I found a new favorite passage in the Book of Mormon. (How's your reading coming? :)) It's Mosiah 24:10-16. The people with Alma were in bondage, and poured out their hearts that the Lord would strengthen them. I love how it says that because of their faith and patience, they were delivered from bondage. Everyone is in some kind of bondage, oder? To sin, temptation, selfishness, sadness. But God hears all of our cries, and will always stay with us. :)

I love you all! Have a wonderful week and share the gospel!

Sister Bushman

More Photos:

Sister B. & Sister C. found the soon-to-be-spots for the Viennese Christmas Markets!

GO ROYALS!  (Mom sent her clippings of our almost-World Series champs)


1 comment:

  1. Oh this letter makes me so happy! Early on in her mission, Sherry discovered the power of saying hello to everyone! What a great missionary, she will accomplish so much good. From baptisms to making someone's day brighter! And such an international companionship they are, too. Love it!

    ReplyDelete